Re: [Amps] I answered it.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] I answered it.
From: "Roger (Sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:06:56 -0500
On 1/29/2011 8:36 AM, Ron Youvan wrote:
> Hi  Steve Cook:
>
>> The question I watching for an answer to was:
>> I the Q changes (because the tank L is set to a non optimal inductance
>> value) what happens to the voltages across the plate tune and antenna
>> The original question, as I read it, did not address open antenna
>> connections or the like.
>> So for me, if I want to operate on 10MHz with my Kenwood TL-922 amp
>> which does not have a setting for 10MHz -- do I need to operate at
>> reduced voltage to keep the tank voltages from soaring?

I'd be far more concerned about the plate choke resonance(s)

>> Did I get the question wrong?
>> I still don't know what the answer is.
>> What happens to the tank voltages when the Q goes up or down due to the
>> setting of the tank inductance???
If you can't get the thing loaded up you aren't going to have the power.
If you don't have the power you won't have the voltage.  OTOH IF you can
tune up for full power into a high SWR that is a different situation.
>     A well asked question.  I didn't recall the original question.
> First we are allowed only 200 Watts, so 3dB over a 100 Watt transceiver will
> not be noticeable.
3db is noticeable in many instances and may make the difference between
getting through or not on a noisy band.

73

Roger (K8RI)