Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos + Video

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Alpha 8410 photos + Video
From: dstewart <wsmc551@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 06:45:05 -0800
On 03/06/2011 09:28 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> That blower is an interesting design, Damon - drawing across wide
>> opening inside the amplifier.
> Alpha is using a high-volume, low-velocity blower design in the 8410.
> That's a great way to cool a pair of ceramic tubes but I'm not sure if that
> would add any contribution to lower noise with a single tube design - like
> the 9500.
>
> I also like seeing the RJ1A/HC-1/GH1 style T/R vacuum relay in the latest
> 8410.  For a while, I think they were experimenting with the Jennings RF1D
> style cylindrical vacuum relays.  My Alpha 70V uses one of those and even
> when taking into account for the mounting arrangement, it's significantly
> louder than the RJ1A.  In the link below, you can see one of the RF1D style
> relays being used in an early 8410.  Scroll down just a bit.  It's the first
> inside view.
>
> http://www.rfconcepts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3884/.f
>
> Paul, W9AC

Paul,  the vacuum relay in the current 8410's is very quite.

I made a quick video of the amp last night, not the best, but its fun to
watch anyway.  If you turn up the volume you can just hear the amp in
the background.  Notice how loud the beep form the radio is at the 47
second mark compared to the background noise of the amp.  I don't think
you can here the T/R relay.  The creaking noise in the background around
the 2 min mark is our propane water heater about 25 feet behind me
heater after the gas shut down.  You sure can hear the Palstar DL5K fans
kick in  about the 4 min mark (sounds like one of my old Henrys).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzYzpX5fqYo