Re: [Amps] Tuner Loss

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuner Loss
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:37:40 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:04:05 -0400, "Roger (sub1)"
<sub1@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

>The Palstar AT5K has a table in the manual that shows losses based on
>the impedance the tuner is seeing plus how the tuner is used. It
>demonstrates that losses can be as high as 16% (which is nearly all in
>the rotary inductor), but can be reduced to 3% or less with proper
>tuning.  More C and less L.

REPLY:

I am currently operating the BARTG RTTY contest and using a Palstar AT2K
tuner for my 80 meter antenna. The SWR on that antenna is 3:1 at best
and more than that off the 'sweet spot'. Running 1500 watts through it,
calling CQ and S&Ping as fast as I can, the case of the tuner directly
above the coil is barely warm to the touch. I would estimate the loss
inside it at no more than ten watts if that much. Imagine the heat given
off by a ten watt light bulb. That's about it.

The AT2K is nothing special - the inductor is run of the mill with wire
I would estimate to be either #12 or #14, certainly not oversized and
with ordinary components elsewhere.

If someone is getting 165 watts loss as previously mentioned, they have
an operator error or some re-design work to do.

73, Bill W6WRT