Re: [Amps] copper vs steel /SS /brass conductors in a HF tank circuit

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] copper vs steel /SS /brass conductors in a HF tank circuit
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 15:17:40 -0600
  This is total BS!

Electrical conductivities:

Copper ~1.7x10-8 ohm-m
Silver ~1.6x10-8 ohm-m
Silver Sulfide ~1.8x10-3 ohm-m
Silver Oxide ~1x10+9 ohm-m

If you wish to call something that has 62,500,000,000,000,000 times
higher resistance than silver a conductor then so be it. I would prefer
to call silver oxide a CRAPPY conductor.

While we are on the topic there are 2 oxides of copper and a commonly
occurring sulfide when copper weathers.  I made some coil measurements a
few years ago and saw no difference in Q's.  Take a look at
http://www.w0qe.com/inductor_Q_tests.html for all the details.  Click on
the picture of the inductors would with extremely weathered old copper
wire for a higher resolution image.

73,
Larry, W0QE