Re: [Amps] 813 Amplifier Article

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 813 Amplifier Article
From: "LA7SL Nils Petter" <la7sl@norgespost.no>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 20:16:26 +0200
I ran 2x 4cx250B  grid driven with passive grid in AB2.
Grids loaded by 50ohms dummy load and bias feed on
"inside" of grid coupling C  via RFC  (could have coupled
bias to ground side of  dummy R but then I would have
needed a real RF bypass cap there to handle the drive power.
I got away with a regular 200V disc :-)
G2 fed with normal voltage and bypassed to ground. I got into trouble
with my first screen supply as those tubes draw negative G2 current
over part of operating range. That solved ,-this little amp performed
flawlessly more than three years. The driver was a FT901 (tuned output)
so the IMD was not too bad. Pwr out was in the range 650 watts. The amp
was a monoband 75 meters job. Worked a lot of good DX phone on it !!
Telling this just to show that it does not take much to get a respectable
signal, not much work or professional skill either  really.
My next project was a very similar thing, just BIGGER :-) using QBL5-3500's
Those are 3KW plate diss jobs... and tuned grids this time,- but that is a
different
story...nearly burned down my barn on the farm here.... too tight coupling
something apparently :-)  Did not work much more DX on that one, I just did
not
have to spend the same amount of time in the pileups....
Now I am 61 and have become an appliance operator...
Peter