Re: [Amps] Sockets, air, options

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sockets, air, options
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:49:54 +0800
G'day Martin.

It seems that nobody has done any quantitative
research and measurement on this subject.

To me, common sense would suggest that you are
going to see equal or better cooling on the tube
pins/seals. The air system sockets have more
metal in the pin receptors and they are in the
direct air flow. This will serve to draw more
heat from the socket pins and get it away more
quickly in the much enhanced air stream.

Also, one would expect improvements at the top
end of the tube. Improved air flow reaching the
anode connector must surely result in better cooling.

Dunno what the Henry anode connectors are like
but I have anode connectors on my 3-500's where
you remove the manufacturer's anode cap and
attach the finned anode cooler directly to the
thinner anode rod protruding from the glass
envelope. Whilst I have no scientific proof, I
reckon it oughtta help keep the lid on the metal/glass seal temperature.

73 and good luck with the project,
Alek. VK6APK

PS: I scored a spare 5CX1500 tube for Sam
yesterday. Unknown state but very cheap, so worth the risk.

http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6apk
http://www.qrz.com/db/vk6ap