[Amps] DIN vs N

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] DIN vs N
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 18:45:02 -0700
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:57:44 +0200
From: "DF3KV" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [Amps] DIN vs N
To: <amps@contesting.com>

Those 10-15W are per channel, not per connector.
Cell phone sites run multiple transmitters into the same antenna.
That is also the reason why IMD by connectors and cables needs to be as low
as possible.

73
Peter

###  The cell tech I talked to at work....back in 2005  told me it was 100 mw
PER  channel.
Only ONE TX, that fed 3-4 x ants.  Now that was before the G3+  upgrade.  The
telco I worked for,
used Type N  on everything.  99%  of the  cell sites back then used either 7/8"
 heliax....or  1.25" heliax.

##  at the bigger cell sites, there would be 3-4 x different cell co's...all in
the same room.  However, they all had
their own, separate ants.  The other co's  all used the  7-16 DIN.   When the
new G3+ eq  was installed in 2008, the type N  was
gone forever, replaced by the now defacto standard in the cell industry...the
7-16 din.

##  All the equipment has been upgraded once again..[2009]..... and guess what,
 now it's fiber optic cables  up the side of the existing
tower's, with the TX  at the top of the tower... very close to the  feedpoint.
Then real short lenghth's  of coax, with 7-16 dins...
feeding the ants.   The story I got at work was by using  fiber optic cables to
top of tower, the BW was increased by a whole bunch
with the newer G4 modes now employed.   Now I can see how  fiber up the tower
would eliminate feedline loss, but that was not an issue
anyway, plus the coax ables  were already there.

##  back when heliax was still used, the 7/8" / 1.25" would be spliced into
much smaller [.405"] coax cable's, on the overhead runways,
just above the top of the equipment bays.  When you see  1.25"/1.625"  heliax
with a type N installed on the end of it... it's almost laughable.
Here you have coax, the size of a baseball bat... with this giant connector on
it..... and dead center, is this puny, tiny pin... that's virtually identical
to the center pin  on any BNC connector  on ur typ 2m FM rubber duck ant
assy... [ and smaller diam pin than any PL-259 plug].

##  For the same price, or a tiny bit more, the 7-16 Din connector is
essentially the same price  as a type N... on the bigger cables.  Type N is a
pita, imo.
I use 7-16 Din's on all cables, and output's of all the hb amplifier's, + all
stuff like LP filter's, wattmeter couplers, remote switch box's,
lightning arrestor's..all of it.   I use crimp style 7-16 Dins, with the
correct crimp tool, on the myriad of RG-393 teflon coax  used between remote
switch
box, and all ant's.  [ tnx to Davis RF  for the dins/crimp tool, and 200' roll
of 393, etc... best prices bar none]

##  On the bigger cables, like  7/8"  and  1.25" heiax,  LMR-1200..... you can
only get 2 x connector's  for them these days.... type N...or 7-16 din.... take
your pick !
Andrew stopped making UHF males  for  7/8"  heliax back in the mid 90's.
Aluminum and also copper outer  conductor,  [both corrugated]  with a
corrugated copper
inner conductor, made by I think RFS, is all the rage in
EU/canada/asia/india,etc.  Dirt cheap  vs the Andrew heliax...and way more
flexible, due to it's copper corrugated
inner conductor, vs  Andrew's   copper tube method.  Like $2.35  per foot for
the 7/8" stuff..[with cu outer + inner conductor]....and WAY less if you get
the stuff with the AL
outer conductor + CU inner conductor.....and way lighter too..... 1/2 the
weight of LMR-1200.    The lightweight flexible RFS heliax with the  corrugated
AL outer conductor
only comes in 2 x sizes.... 7/8"  + 1.25" .    These are made for the cell
industry, as those 2 x sizes are used 99%  of the time.

##  In the real world... type N is obsolete.  You can get 7-16 dins  surplus
these days.  For retrofitting older gear, TRU corp, in Peabody, Mass,  makes
7-16 Din chassis
conversion connectors.   These are 1" square....and drop right in where the
type N/ SO-239  used to reside.    The 4 x little holes line up perfectly. [
4-40 hardware]
A standard 7-16 din has a 1.25"  square flange, and uses  4 x 8-32 screws.
It's virtually impossible to retrofit the normal 1.25" flange of a 7-16 chassis
 connector,
where a type N /SO-239  once stood.

later...... Jim   VE7RF