Re: [Amps] 3 phase transformer

To: Ronald Brown <rg52brown@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3 phase transformer
From: Tomm V Aldridge <taldridge@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 23:10:49 -0700
Take care with core saturation as the cross section of the center leg is
equal to those of the outer legs in a three phase xfmr which is not the case
with a single phase xfmr where the center leg area is 2 times that of the
outer legs as the flux is split evenly between the outer legs.  Running the
center primary at the three phase voltage divided by sqrt 3, 120 on a 208V
transformer, will allow you to take the secondaries in all three legs in
series or parallel as long as you observe the phasing.  Paralleling is
always iffy a any flux or turns imbalance will show up as a shorted turn and
generate excessive heating n the windings.

Tomm - KD7QAE