Re: [Amps] GS-35b heat sink

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35b heat sink
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:16:53 +0100
Carl wrote:
>> The sand-cast anode coolers on the GS31 and GI7 can't be very efficient
>> either, because of the small number of fins. One option might be to
>> replace these with US-style coolers salvaged from dead 8877s and
>> 3CX800s. It should be possible to shrink fit a solid copper plug inside
>> of the cooler, with a fixing hole through the centre and a turned flange
>> to mate onto the Russian tube.  (Just an idea; I haven't tried it.)
>
>Ive done that using glass base 4X150 coolers on 8072's as they were
>just soldered in place and removed with a propane torch. I havent been
>successful in removing 8122 coolers and I do have several dead 8930,
>3CX800, and 7213's. How do you remove those coolers?

With a 4CX250B, I first removed the lower part by carefully cracking the
ceramic insulator in a large vice. The anode cooler can then be tidied
up by sawing off the unwanted parts at top and bottom, leaving a plain
cylinder with fins on the outside.  Not having a lathe at the time,
that's as far as I ever got with the experiment.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek