[Amps] Using an oil capacitor

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Using an oil capacitor
From: Vic K2VCO <vic@rakefet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 22:59:39 -0700
I have an oil capacitor rated at 53 uf 3.5kv. I would like to use it in a power
supply
with a transformer delivering 2.4 kVAC. The peak voltage is thus close to 3400V.

I've never used an oil capacitor before. My line voltage is pretty constant at
240V, but
if it were to rise to 250V, the voltage rating of the capacitor would be
exceeded. What
kind of safety factor do capacitors like this have?

The capacitor is 4-1/2" x 4" x 10" and is marked CSI 4W308T. The CSI website
<http://www.csicapacitors.com/csite/cms/149.htm> doesn't list this particular
one, but
other 3.5kV capacitors have similar part numbers. There's no detailed spec.
There is this
statement:

"The WM series of capacitors is designed for general purpose pulse applications
in power
supplies for lasers, flash tubes and other capacitor discharge circuits where
moderate to
long life is required."

I'm not sure if this is appropriate for power supply filter application.
Anybody familiar
with these?
--
Vic, K2VCO