Re: [Amps] Risks from continuous discharge of high voltage ??

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Risks from continuous discharge of high voltage ??
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 12:58:47 +0000
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> There's an ebay auction for a 100 kV transformer from an x-ray set.

> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190544288962

> I mentioned to the seller he should warn people of possible production of
> x-rays. He does not think this possible and I must admit I'm not sure if its
> possible without a vacuum. But I've also suggested that it could produce UV
> and
> ozone.

   The production of X-rays requires something that does not exist in a
transformer or the
transformers would be lined with lead sheeting.  Which is: "a high velocity
stream of electrons that
changes speed abruptly."

> It's clearly being sold as a fun experiment:

> "Dangerous but great fun and ideal for lots of interesting experiments."

> But at 100 kV, I'm wondering what dangers there are apart from the obvious one
> of electrocution.

   Like setting the house on fire.

> Somehow I would not want to be playing around too much with 100 kV and drawing
> big arcs, but perhaps I'm over reacting.

   I think a Van de Graaff generator would be at least 10,000 times safer.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child -- if you
parboil them