Re: [Amps] High SWR

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High SWR
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:06:50 +0100
On 07/ 4/11 11:30 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> Yes and No.
>     You can. to a limited extent, make an antenna system resonate with an
> amplifier with a PI network output.

No, you can't make an antenna resonate. In general an antenna has a complex
impedance R + j X. Only when X == 0 is there resonance.

> Only if it is slightly off resonance the "Load" capacitor and be adjusted
> such that you can get an 'conjugate" impedance match.
> Making the antenna, transmission line and the PI network all resonate at the
> operating frequency and also get maximum power transfer.

I would not consider you are resonating the antenna in this case. You are
getting a conjugate match, which should give maximum power transfer. That's not
the same as resonating the antenna.

> However, this range is limited and the SWR meter will not indicate 1:1 SWR if
> you do get a match becuase the SWR meter is still comparing
> the antenna system to 50 Ohms and also now the reflections in the
> transmission line become part of the "resonante system"

Yes, but 50 Ohms has nothing to do with resonance. An antenna can have a pure
resistive impedance of exactly 50000 Ohms (zero reactance). It has a 1000:1
VSWR
but is resonate.

>   Years ago before hams used SWR meters they tuned their transmitters to the
> antenna systems by dipping the plate current and
> adjusting the Loading capactior of the PI network until they got the proper
> correct plate current at the dip. But when using
> linear amplifiers and particularly GG amplifiers this approach does not
> always work out right.

>   PI-L networks allow for very little range of compensation for antenna
> missmatch. Still the SWR meter will not indicate a match even
> if you achieved one.

Because you have not achieved a 50 Ohms load.

Since an SWR meter is designed for a 50 Ohm system, then the load must be a
resistive impedance of 50 Ohms to get 1:1 VSWR. In fact, one does not need the
system to be resonate to get a 1:1 readomg, as a 50 Ohm dummy load gives you a
1:1 VSWR, but is not resonate. .

You can have resonance and a VSWR of 1000:1. You can't tell with a load is
resonate by looking at a VSWR meter. A VSWR higher than 1 just indicates its
not
50 Ohms - it could still be resonate. A 50 Ohm load will give 1:1, but that is
not resonate.

The only way to measure resonance is with a vector network analyser or similer
took which can look at the reactive component of the impedance. Only when
that's
zero is there resonance.

> 73
> Bill wa4lav