Re: [Amps] GS35b FWB issue

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS35b FWB issue
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:06:46 -0400
    Thanks for the input all.  Still a bit baffled- as Ian wrote my issue
HAS to be in the PS side only- it goes into failure mode with NOTHING at all
connected to the tank (this is a single chassis unit BTW) & bypassing the
glitch resistor, HV meter resistor string, and, just for kicks, once
removing the B- lead to the plate current meter.  It is drawing current (the
ampmeter shows it before the breaker trips if connected to the B- lead on
the FWB on powerup) which means something, somewhere, shorted to ground in
the DC supply.  Maybe this is wrong, but it appears that a short HAD to be
in the capacitor bank somewhere- I can power up the transformer without any
load, no problem.  Add the repaired FWB (unconnected to any load) and no
problem.  Add the cap bank & viola, shorting noise (sometimes a rattling
high current relay straining from the overdraw of current) followed by a
blowing breaker (or me manually hitting it off to save the "next" component
failue in the FW bridge.)  I have not powered it up again, and won't til I
find the issue.
    I fixed the FWB, again, but with the assumption that a transformer
insulation breakdown under load wouldn't hurt the diode string, just blow
the breaker, I pulled the cap bank apart.  I hipotted each 800mfd Mallory
450V nominal 550v surge CGS801T450VAL with my HB tester, and NONE read a
short.  I have no scope here.  Granted, my test was a little on the low side
of max voltage rating as I didn't want any explosions, but each cap showed a
5 microamp leakage at ~400 volts DC.  Finally, with the thought that it
still HAD to be in the board, I removed one side of the last string of
bleeders (BTW, my bleeder system style was stolen shamelessly from an ETO
MRI supply I have) and hipotted the trace on the board.  Placed on a 1/2
thick piece of teflon, at 5,000 VDC I found no visible/ audible shorts & ~ 5
microamps leakage.  At about 6500VDC, however, I could hear & see breakdown
on the micrometer (slightly bouncing needle) and at around 7 kv I found one
place on the trace (lights out in the room) with a pale blue arc appearing
almost "inside" the Lexan, straight line between 2 traces.  Other places
"appeared" by sound to be arcing but nothing was seen, and I wasn't game to
take my noise-damaged ears close enough to the board to figure out which
spot or spots the arc was coming from.  At this point leakage was reading at
best, 10 microamps.  It sure wasn't pegging the meter...
    My next thought, as suggested in this thread, was to hipot the HT
transformer, though why that shorting under load would kill a diode string
escapes me.  Would it be logical to try this - removing mains leads &
testing the HT betweeen primary & high secondary tap at, say, 3500V (500
over output rating DC) & see what happens?  I am afraid to test the system
as-is with my large oil-filled 5700kv nominal cap, though in fairness the
other cap bank has not gone "boom".
    In sum, when the thing failed I was sitting here, the amp was running,
but had not been used for a couple hours when whatever failed, failed & the
20 amp magnetic breaker on the amp tripped (along with my 30 amp wall
breaker) which is 8 ft away & feeds the amp w/ #10 wire.

    Thanks for all the input, it is an ongoing  learning experience.

    73 Dave N3DB