Re: [Amps] YU-158 still being made?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] YU-158 still being made?
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:21:30 -0400
On 7/13/2011 4:03 PM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> On 07/13/11 07:39 PM, ED MCKIE wrote:
>>    I built a twenty meter monobander in1997 using a new YU-158 I got from a
>> friend who had a friend that worked for GE Medical Systems. I found when
>> trying to get info from Eimac that it was a proprietary tube made for ETO.
>> About all I could get out of CPI / Eimac was that is was a more rugged 8877
>> and ran lower grid current for a given output.
>> Well, there is a new YU-158 for sale on Ebay with a date code 1039. My
>> question is this: if it was a proprietary tube made for ETO, do they still
>> make them or could it be a counterfit. The 1 on the datecode is taller than
>> the rest of the numbers in the date code.
>>    I read something a few days ago about people putting CPI / Eimac
>> silkscreen
>> on import tubes.
>> TNX, Ed
> Assuming you are talking about this auction
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Eimac-YU-158-8877-3CX1500A7-Power-Triode-/350477144083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a10d013
>
> it's possible the "1" looks bigger due distortion caused by the perspective
> and/or the use of a lens not suited to close up work. The anode appears to be
> much deeper at the front than at the back.

There is definately distortion due to lens focal length and distance to
the subject, *but* if you look at the large "1" look at the sting of
characters starting above it. The H in Hazardous is directly above the
"1" and it is not distorted.  Also if the "1" were distorted due to the
focal lenght/distance the string of numbers should get larger as a
function of distance. IOW the 0 would only be slightly smaller and the 3
would be slightly smaller than the 0 with the difference rapidly
diminishing with distance. Also you do not see the same distortion with
the numbers under the Eimac Logo to the left.  If you look at the anode
size Vs distance that same change should apply to the lettering and
numbers.  The "1"  is the only thing out of character for size.

Would this indicate some one had made a change? I don't know, but I've
seen date codes with the first digit larger before.

73

Roger (K8RI)