Re: [Amps] MOSFET ratings

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOSFET ratings
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:15:23 +0100
OK Manfred.

Firstly, I should stress that you must not confuse me with someone
who understands all about these MOSFETs :-) Your question spurred
my interest.

I have been reading from my old (1987) IR catalogue, application
note 966. This is describing the HEXFET III family, the first
where diode dV/dt is specified. I have not had time to read it in
full detail, but it refers to the diode recovery dV/dt limit
applying "..as the diode recovers from conduction..." and
describes a mechanism that occurs during the period that
recombination is happening in the diode. If the value is too high,
the bjt will conduct. I think the higher value is what will make
the bjt conduct if the diode is fully 'off'.

I could not find AN-966 on line to give you a link - I can scan
the article (7 x A4 pages, small print) for you if you wish.

Steve