[Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] New NXP BLF578XR 1200W LDMOS FET is "indestructible"
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:22:06 +0100
All,

I thought I should mention that NXP have just announced a new version of
the BLF578 1200W 50V LDMOS FET called the BLF578XR (Extremely Rugged)
which is claimed to be "indestructible".

http://www.elektor.com/news/the-first-indestructible-transistor.1892717.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

<http://www.elektor.com/news/the-first-indestructible-transistor.1892717.lynkx?utm_source=UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news>

Video of BLF578XR being abused in NXP test lab here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziYqjMQGEQ

NXP website here:

http://www.nxp.com/pip/BLF578XR.html
<http://www.nxp.com/#/pip/pip=[pip=BLF578XR]%7Cpp=[t=pip,i=BLF578XR]>

Now 50MHz, 70MHz, 144MHz and 432MHz amplifiers should be in the reach of
us hams with without the fear of destroying an expensive device, and
perhaps LDMOS FETs can now be considered 'like tubes'...

Mike

[PS. I do not work for or have any connection with NXP I just like the
look of the device]