Re: [Amps] "Best" limit indicators for multi-turn, shaft-driven gadgetry

To: <audioguy@q.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Best" limit indicators for multi-turn, shaft-driven gadgetry
From: "W5CUL" <w5cul@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:25:19 -0500
Jim,

I have a similar project that I have been working with off and on for some
time now.  It is a Balanced to Balanced Antenna Tuner feeding a loop antenna
with open wire, with coax to the station antenna switch.  The tuner is
currently deployed in the attic, and is attached to the house LAN with its
own IP Address and port.  The Stepper Controller I use is capable of
controlling two motors, and has been provisioned with a granularity of 1600
steps per 1 full revolution.  And as with Stepper Controllers, you need to
talk to them via RS-232 or Ethernet or some other means in order to operate
the motors.  One gentleman mentioned using a PIC processor as persistent
memory which could store the location of the motor during powered down
periods.  That would definitely work, and I too have thought about that
method.  I also played around with the idea of using precision resistors
geared up to the motor shafts using 5Vdc, feeding the subsequent voltage to
10 bit A/D converters.  That method will work as well.  But if wanting to
use the KISS method, and since you have to talk to the controller anyways,
why not write a simple GUI interface to control the motors as well as store
their location and the controller configuration data.  That is where my
project sets right now; learning curve in using VB 2008 Express. So while I
still struggle with writing the GUI software, I am still able to talk to the
controller via command line.  Now before placing the tuner in the attic I
did run some tests to determine upper and lower bounds for both the
inductors and the capacitor in terms of steps.  And the motors are powerful
enough not to skip, even at that granularity.  So I am reasonably assured
that the step location for each motor as reported by the Stepper Controller
is accurate.  So for the time being I manually control the stepper motors,
and write down the location of where the motors sit before turning the
system off. My Stepper Controller board has the ability to accept and act
upon the input from "hard limit" switches. I may still use that feature as a
fail safe.

73,

Mike
W5CUL