Re: [Amps] Ruberized silicon sheet

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ruberized silicon sheet
From: "Roger (sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:17:27 -0400
On 8/21/2011 5:08 PM, N7KA@comcast.net wrote:
> I have picked up FREE scrap pieces of the red-orange material at local gasket
> shops.

Just do a search for Silicone Rubber or gasket material.  The Red
material in "Silastic (TM) brand" is used as baffle material in aircraft
engine compartments. It can be purchased in 2, 3, or 4" wide rolls of
various lengths, or in sheets.  "Aircraft Spruce" will have it in rolls.
Silastic like rubber is available is various thicknesses and hardness or
stiffness.
Some electronics houses should have it as well.  "Sometimes" it can also
be found in foot square sheets at hardware stores.  The Red, or
red/orange material is a high temperature silicone rubber.  I had a lot
of it at one time, but either used or gave most of it away.  (I worked
for the company that makes it for many years)  We could purchase
outdated or near outdated materials that were still good at about 10
cents on the dollar. Put a tube of RTV Silastic (TM) inside a sealed
glass jar and it'll last for years. The same is true for the caulking
compounds.

73

Roger (K8RI)