Re: [Amps] Dahl transformer BC plate transformer center-tap insulation?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dahl transformer BC plate transformer center-tap insulation?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:51:37 -0500
Hi Jim,

I have been in the same situation.   It's easy with the real old iron
from the days of a pair of mercs with a center tap.  No FWB with
those.  Later on though, ???

If it were me, I'd get a schematic of the transmitter that used your
dahl transformer and see what kind of rectifier was in it.   If it had
a FWB then you are cleared for takeoff.  Otherwise I'd use two strings
of diodes.

73

Rob
K5UJ

<<<

If you were looking at a Dahl plate transformer removed from a BC
transmitter that had a center-tapped secondary, would you bet that the
insulation would be good enough to use the transformer with a bridge
instead of a full-wave rectifier, or would you assume that it isn't for
safety's sake?

I have no idea of the age of the transformer. It has the standard Dahl
gloss black paint with red data plate, and the terminals are mounted on
pinkish-red terminal boards.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI