Re: [Amps] Dahl transformer BC plate transformer center-tap insulation?

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Dahl transformer BC plate transformer center-tap insulation?
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:44:33 -0700
Thanks for all the replies.

"Looking at" was a poor choice of words on my part. I saw the
transformer advertised in an internet ad, so I don't have access to it
for any hands-on testing.

Since the asking price isn't that far down from a new one, I think I'll
pass on it. I have one new Harbach/Dahl unit waiting on the shelf
already, so I'll just resist the impulse to hoard... :-)

73,
Jim N7CXI

... resend, original didn't reflect for whatever reason.

If you were looking at a Dahl plate transformer removed from a BC
transmitter that had a center-tapped secondary, would you bet that the
insulation would be good enough to use the transformer with a bridge
instead of a full-wave rectifier, or would you assume that it isn't for
safety's sake?

I have no idea of the age of the transformer. It has the standard Dahl
gloss black paint with red data plate, and the terminals are mounted on
pinkish-red terminal boards.

Thanks,
Jim, N7CXI
<<