Re: [Amps] Alpha 76a

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76a
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:43:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
"One thing you might consider if you haven't already is replacing the power
supply HV filter caps.  They are more than ready One thing you might consider
if you haven't already is replacing the power supply HV filter caps."

Two weeks ago, I had my Alpha 76A apart and decided to check out the
electrolytics and bleeder resistors.  I removed each capacitor and checked them
with a capacitance meter and and ESR meter.  I also measured the leakage
current under load.  The amp had not been used for years, but after forming for
a few minutes, the leakage current dropped to almost nothing.  Measured
capacitance was within a couple percent.

These caps are high quality original caps and did not need replacement.
Although I have found other amps that needed replacement caps, the Alphas have
held up well.  Worthwhile to try them before replacement.

73,  Colin  K7FM