Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio

Subject: Re: [Amps] RF in the Audio
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:07:04 -0700
On 9/24/2011 5:20 PM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> But the question concerned that perfectly! balanced open feeder which
> certainly carries no common mode current.

Ah, but it DOES, because the feedline is part of a complete circuit. If
the rest of the circuit is unbalanced, it causes current in the feedline
to be unbalanced. That's why I do not use the words "balanced feedline."

Follow this simple logic. If the current in the left side of an antenna
is 1.0A and the current in the other side is 0.9A, the current in the
side of the feedline connected to the left side MUST be 1.0A, and the
current in the wire connected to the right side MUST be 0.9A.  When you
add a common mode choke to the feedline, you're adding a high impedance
in series with the common mode circuit, which forces the current in the
two sides of the antenna to be more nearly equal.

That's another shortcoming of unbalanced antennas like Windoms -- they
are noisy on RX.

73, Jim K9YC