Re: [Amps] Photos posted of high voltage test setup of a YC-176

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Photos posted of high voltage test setup of a YC-176
From: LB3HC <rezycle.bin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 21:54:04 +0200
Hi George.

I didn't test breakdown between G-C so far. In a grounded grid setup with a
tube like this, my understanding is that an A-G arc is the most likely. The
grid is a circular cage surrounding the cathode (reference: internal pictures
of the YC-159 at http://gs35b.com/yc156/ ). The grid potential will stay very
close to B-. I assume therefore that since the potential between G-C will be
quite low, the risk for an arc there is low.  (Provided the low ohm clamping
resistor from chassis to B- is OK). I may of course be wrong.

I have not yet found many references that state that one should do a hipot test
from G to C. In studying the Eimac datasheet for the YC-156
http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/YC156.pdf  (YC-156 is same tube as YC-179), I
see on page 3 that the maximum G to C peak potential should be 425 volts.  This
may indicate that one should be careful with applying too high voltages from G
to C. If you have more specific information about what voltage the G-C path
should hipot test without appreciable leakage current for a good tube, I would
be interested in receiving this information.

I agree with your comments regarding unknown heater and grid condition. That I
will have to test and cross my fingers.

An alternative may be to check the interelectrode capacitances. That would
probably give an indication of misaligned elements inside the tube.

73
LB3HC