[Amps] running two 3 phase transformer serie/parallel

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] running two 3 phase transformer serie/parallel
From: "Carel, pc5m" <pc5m@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:10:11 +0200
Hi,

I have two identical 3 phase  high voltage transformer (each around 4KVA /
50 kg/ 100 pounds). Issue is they are designed for US 3 phase voltages. (so
120 / 204V) so can't use them in Europe as is. What I would like to do is to
put the 2 units  at the primary side in serie and at the secondary side in
parallel. Primary and secondary in wye config.

Q: Would there be any benefit of connecting the secondary windings of the
two transformers first parallel and than rectify (with only one rectifier
bridge) or the other way around ? For me it is much easier to first rectify
both transformers and than put the rectified voltage parallel (only one
highvoltage interconnect  between both the big/heavy  transformer boxes.).

I have seen some constellations with two 3 phase transformer to gain some
benefit in creating additional phases in order to reduce the ripple voltage
even more. Don't know if I could utilize such a thing as well ? However,  if
I recall they were placed in parallel at the input.

Thanks for any idea's . Gl, Carel