Re: [Amps] Can distilled water be used for a dummy load ??

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Can distilled water be used for a dummy load ??
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:16:48 -0500
   Jim Thomson wrote:

> My  hb 50 ohm dummy load  consists of  4 x 200 ohm globars in parallel  [type
> SP, glass bodied
> and suitable for oil immersion].   Each resistor is 1" diam x 12"  long. [275
> W CCS in air]
>   Each resistor  resides inside it's own  2.875" OD x sched 40  Aluminum tube.
>   All 4 x thick walled  AL tubes are heliarc welded.

> I heard some place that instead of xfmr oil, that  distilled water can be
> used instead?
> The same glass bodied type SP  resistors, [50 ohm, high wattage]  are used in
>  water cooled loads,
> the type that  has the garden hose on one end, etc.

> Seems to me that distilled water will conduct heat a lot better than xfmr
> oil.  The question is,
> will the use of distilled water in a 7 gallon metal container, with resistors
> immersed present any
> swr problems ?    If I remember correctly, swr was high on heath cantenna
> loads  if no oil used at all,
> and dropped to dead flat once the oil was poured in.   There was also a
> similar 50 ohm load in the
> old arrl books, same resistor as I'm using but it was a single 50 ohm unit,
> and not 4 x 200 ohms in parallel.

   Distilled ONLY and steam distilled is greatly preferred.  (over
de-mineralized)

   When hot the H2O will expand much more, possibly steam and some can get lost.
Oil is better.  Buy "mineral oil" from any Veterinarian supply store, (by the
gallon) same stuff.

--
    Ron  KA4INM -    Ron  KA4INM - Did you know ...
                     ... that no-one ever reads these things?