Re: [Amps] Sucking air

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sucking air
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 13:15:44 -0500
On 11/28/2011 2:34 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
> I noticed the AL-1500 was getting pretty
> hot during the contest last weekend&
> wonder if putting a large muffin fan on
> the outlet&  sucking the exhaust would
> perhaps assist in increasing air flow.

This was quite common with the Dentron amps which were a bit anemic on
cooling, as well as in a few other areas. It's not very efficient, but
it does work and keeps the top of the cabinet much cooler...still warm
though.

With plastic fans it's a good idea to put the fan in place and start it
when you start the amp if the metal gets really hot, although we used to
just "stick 'em on" and "turn 'em on". No guarantees as I don't know
just how hot the to of that amp gets.  It should help.

Some amps (Emtron)  actually have a push pull system with a squirrel
cage blower providing air the final stage completely enclosed,
and an exhaust fan (muffin fan) in the top of the compartment with a
grid (to keep fingers and other stuff out) above it.
It works very well.  I'm assuming you don't want to go that far or have
room to do that.

73

Roger (K8RI)