Re: [Amps] Stripline design

To: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Stripline design
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 00:06:27 +0000 (UTC)
I've had a casual interest in how striplines work for a while, but not to the
point that I have started a detailed study.  You've provied a great
explanation.  From what I  can gather, the "stripline" is just being used in
the same way as for example a coaxial transformer.  The difference is "we" are
creating the coax out of the equipment case and the bar connected to the tube
anode.  Based on the bar size and the case size, the impedance is determined.
This seems very similar in idea to calculating impedance of a coax cable by
using the 138log(D/d) equation.  If this is roughly true, then increasing the
strip size, thereby reducing the distance between the strip and the case will
make the impedance lower, this would be the case of extending the strip on one
end.

I also think you have hit the nail on the head.  the 2x3cx800 k1fo amp uses the
same enclosuer so the stripline sides are closer to the case sides, I presume
this would make less inductance and make it shorter to maintain the right
inductance.  While the single 3cx800 is narrow so it must compensate for being
longer.

This might seem like an off the wall idea, but perhaps the simpleton approach
is to calculate the original area of 3.5" x 8.625" = 30.1875.  Then take the
new length of 3.5 x 9.0 = 31.5, an increase of 1.3125".  To maintain the same
area, reduce the width by 0.07292"  on each side so the new width is 3.35416".
 We should have the same impedance because the same insulative area is
maintained.

Your first email mentioned that

"The capaitance reactance of the tube and strays is given by

Xc=1/(2 Pi f C)"

Where does the "C" paramater come from?  Is this one of the paramaters on the
tube data sheet such as Cin, Cout, Cpk, Chtr.  I would guess Cout.
3cx400A7/3cx800A7
Cin   = 20.5/26.0
Cout = 6.0/6.1
Cpk = 0.03/0.05

Cout between the tubes is only 0.1 pF difference, so this seems very small.

My thought would be to leave the stripline at the same height as original, this
makes the tube anode connector stand up higher then the original, but there is
enough room on the top for that.

I do have a grid dip meter I could use, I'm not sure how it would help since
the stripline likely has to be enclosed with the lid on to give the proper
results.  How would I couple it to the enclosed stripline?  I would guess I
would leave the tube out of circuit to use the dip meter.  Would it not be good
enough to somehow connect a probe and simply measure the impedance perhaps with
an antenna analyzer or with a VNA (i dont have a vna)?

I have not found any construction articles on this RF deck so far, I bought it
off of Bill Olson K1DY half a year ago.  He said it had been sitting collecting
dust for 20 years and he built it 35+ years ago.  I did some clean up and
traced out the circuit, threw in some control, metering, and a power supply and
away it goes.

I will take it apart this weekend and get some of the dimensions as best I can,
it can never hurt to have those laying around.

Thanks again,
Paul