[Amps] Different amp recommendations

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Different amp recommendations
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 13:31:32 -0600
Gang,

I'm currently using a venerable Henry 2k-2 which runs a pair of 3-400s.
The amp works well 80-10, putting out nearly 1500 watts with 100 watts
drive from my K3.

I'm thinking of a different amp, something used but in good operating
condition that covers the WARC bands and 160. I don't want solid state,
and I'm completely happy tuning up the amp, so I don't need auto-tune. I
want something that'll do 1500 watts continuous (I operate RTTY) and has
a rugged tube(s) that are available if I need to replace them.

Please give your opinions. I've heard bad things about the Alpha 87 PIN
diodes. I don't need QSK. What about the AL1500? Alpha 91 or 99?

John NI0K