Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations

To: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Different amp recommendations
From: Dan Hearn <n5ardxcc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:28:47 -0800
John: I would keep in mind a couple of things. 1. Does it use instant warm
up tubes like your present amp or do you have to wait 3 minutes to use it
?  2. Are parts, including tubes , easily available? Many of my friends use
Ameritron amps. Parts are easily available. The 8877 tube is very popular
and , I believe, good pulls are available.
  My own amp is an old Alpha 77DX which is continuous tuning and covers all
present HF bands as well as any to come in the future.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM, John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I'm currently using a venerable Henry 2k-2 which runs a pair of 3-400s.
> The amp works well 80-10, putting out nearly 1500 watts with 100 watts
> drive from my K3.
>
> I'm thinking of a different amp, something used but in good operating
> condition that covers the WARC bands and 160. I don't want solid state,
> and I'm completely happy tuning up the amp, so I don't need auto-tune. I
> want something that'll do 1500 watts continuous (I operate RTTY) and has
> a rugged tube(s) that are available if I need to replace them.
>
> Please give your opinions. I've heard bad things about the Alpha 87 PIN
> diodes. I don't need QSK. What about the AL1500? Alpha 91 or 99?
>
> John NI0K

Dan Hearn
N5AR