Re: [Amps] Filter Chokes

To: Mike Lucas <w5chr@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filter Chokes
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@q.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:34:20 -0800
You could determine the light-current inductance by hooking it in series
with a suitable capacitor, then using an audio generator and a scope to
find resonance.

It's most likely they are indeed swinging chokes. If not, they'd again
most likely be wired up to resonate with a fairly small capacitance,
something like 0.1uf. (that makes a resonant choke filter at 159hz, a
little above the 120hz ripple frequency as cussed and discussed on this
list)

So:

. Find a decent-quality 0.1uf capacitor. (electrolytic will work, but
not my first choice)

. Hook the cap up in series with the choke

. Set your audio generator to 40hz or so to start with

. Put your audio generator and scope (or AC voltmeter) across the pair

. Slowly increase the frequency of the generator until you see the
voltage "spike", then tune the generator for maximum voltage.

The resonant freq is then 1 / (2 * PI * SQR(L * C))

Where:
"SQR" means Square Root

PI = 3.141592654 or thereabouts

and L and C are in equivalent units. Farads and Henries, microFarads and
Microhenries, etc. Doing a little algebra will derive the inductance
given the other two, *or* here's a list of approximations for 0.1uf:

159hz   10 Henries
225hz   5 Henries
355hz   2 Henries
500hz   1 Henry

Note:
The only way to know the saturation current inductance of a swinging
choke (that I know of) is to saturate it, sorry.

Online resonance calculator:
http://www.deephaven.co.uk/lc.html

My .02, adjust for your local currency as appropriate.

73,
Jim N7CXI