[Amps] Sourcing HV Air Dielectric Caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Sourcing HV Air Dielectric Caps
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:58:13 -0700
Friends,
I discovered an endless source of HV Air Capacitors, from another application.
Might be good for KW amps, or QRO antenna Tuner Components.     The local
Goodwill Store, has large numbers of Air cleaners, filters for the home, a
continuous supply, seemingly cleared  from SK homes, and donated to good will.
 Lots move through the store, but there always seems to be a half dozen on the
shelf at about  $4- 5.00 ea.

I have pulled a couple apart, to find the HV supply, across an interlaced stack
of plates, well insulated from each other and ground,  with maybe 1/8 - 1/4
spacing and 5 - 10 KV, 1 ma power supplies. The fan pulls incoming air through
the fixed capacitor and a lot of the dust is charged, and  precipitates out, is
trapped.
The plates have pretty good insulation and standoffs to ground.   at  $4.00 for
a working uint that had  5KV, 1 ma supply and a nice stack,  it seems a good
source for HV air dielectric caps...

Best Regards,   73
Pat Barthelow AA6EG