Re: [Amps] Sourcing HV Air Dielectric Caps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sourcing HV Air Dielectric Caps
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:11:23 -0700
Pat B. wrote...

> I discovered an endless source of HV Air Capacitors, from another
> application.  Might be good for KW amps, or QRO antenna Tuner Components.
> The local Goodwill Store, has large numbers of Air cleaners, filters for the
> home, a continuous supply, seemingly cleared  from SK homes, and donated to
> good will.   Lots move through the store, but there always seems to be a half
> dozen on the shelf at about  $4- 5.00 ea.

> I have pulled a couple apart, to find the HV supply, across an interlaced
> stack of plates,
well insulated from each other and ground,  with maybe 1/8 - 1/4 spacing and 5
- 10
KV,
1 ma power supplies. The fan pulls incoming air through the fixed capacitor and
a lot
of the
dust is charged, and  precipitates out, is trapped.

> The plates have pretty good insulation and standoffs to ground.   at  $4.00
> for a working
uint that had  5KV, 1 ma supply and a nice stack,  it seems a good source for
HV air
dielectric caps..

and two of the PS units, properly isolated/insulated might make a good hipot
power
supply..

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT