Re: [Amps] question for you experts...

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] question for you experts...
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:32:06 -0500
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net> wrote:

> The real reason for the choke is to keep the output tune capacitor from
> charging to some DC level and causing the tune capacitor to arc constantly.
> Most load capacitors are close spaced and only rated for a few hundred
> volts. Even if a vacuum capacitor is used as a load capacitor the voltage
> rating is often less than the plate voltage supply.

This sounds good but is doubtful:

Just about all air variable load caps I have seen in use look like
they are good for more than a few hundred volts, more like 1 or 2 KV.

The stored energy in a 500 pF tune cap with 3 KV on it (typical ham
amp values but not taking into consideration the blocking cap value
which may be 2000 pF so the total is probably much less than 500 pF)
calculates to being 0.00225 Joules.

Kindly cite a reputable source.

73

Rob