Re: [Amps] How Do You Know When Filter Caps Begin to Fail?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How Do You Know When Filter Caps Begin to Fail?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:00:44 -0400
Temperature and working voltage are the major drivers affecting life span.
Roughly, for every 10-degree C reduction in rated working temperature near
the maximum working operating voltage, life doubles.

I've been changing electrolytics when they've been in service for about 20
years -- sooner under high operating temperatures.  I recently re-capped an
Alpha 86 and due to the high cost of computer-grade electrolytics, the
project cost about $175 for seven OEM caps.  Still, life of an electrolytic
cap seems to vary wildly.  For example, filtering and regulation in several
of my ca. 1930s National power supplies remain excellent and the caps are
now 75 years old.  Back then, any electrolytic cap greater than about 10 uF
(at 350V +) was a rarity and it wasn't until after WWII that manufacturing
processes became better, allowing for greater cap density.  With older
electrolytics, I don't go through a ramping up routine with a Variac device
either.  If it works, great.  If it fails on power-up then it was on the
ragged-edge of reliability anyway and in need of replacement.

Oil-filled HV caps seem to rarely fail.  No doubt it happens, but overall
they appear to have long life spans.

Paul, W9AC