Re: [Amps] Filter Capacitors

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filter Capacitors
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 07:22:53 -0700
"##  when playing with conventional choke input supplies, not the resonant
types that
henry radio used,  you are in for an eye opener.  When you 1st turn it on,
you get this
huge  yo-yo oscillation on the P-P  v waveform, that finally settles down.
what psud wont
simulate is a varying load, like ssb-cw.  Once the supply is up and running,
and no more
soft start involved, is when the trbl starts up.     Every time you hit the
key,  you are slamming this
big load on it...and you end up toggling between full and no load.   Every
time you hit the key,
that oscillation starts up, and P-P V is sky high, till it settles down.
On cw, that’s next to impossible."

This is exactly what I experienced in about 1970.  I was running a
Hallicrafters HT-32 on cw, which uses a choke input and a 10 uf cap.
Cranking up to full 100 watts on cw, then feeding a linear amp, wiped out a
neighbor ham about a quarter mile away.  I puzzled for awhile, then put my
new scope on the high voltage and saw what that choke did, with the
collapsing field.  It was terrible.

73,  Colin  K7FM