Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:24:39 -0700
On 4/30/2012 4:10 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
> In any case, it's been proven that the length of the impedance bump inside
> the junction of a PL-259 and SO-239 is such a tiny fraction of a wavelength
> below 200 MHz that losses from a mismatch is of no practical concern,
> either for RX or TX.

Yes. Several years ago, a VE1 (RGB, I think) sent me a copy of
measurements he had done on a bunch of PL259s and barrels in a string.
His data showed VERY low insertion loss to fairly high frequencies.  A
few years ago I had built a bunch of coax cables for a DX trip using
Commscope 3227 (like LMR400, but #10 solid copper center), all with
PL259s. . To test them, I spliced them together with barrels, then
measured the loss with HP gear by the substitution method.  There were
about 25 PL259s and half that number of barrels in the run.  All were
Amphenols, and there was 1300 ft of cable in the run.  The loss at 500
MHz (the lowest frequency at which the cable loss was specified) was a
few dB less than the mfr's spec for the cable.

73, JIm K9YC