Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:44:26 -0400
On 4/30/2012 2:01 AM, Charles Harpole wrote:

> I think we should also count pieces of incoming db lost by insertion of
> various devices.
>

> I know ever coax joint, every coax switch, and so on costs rcv db.

These are miniscule.  The loss figures are for the maximum frequency.
Even on 144 and 440 I may have as many as a dozen connectors from the
exciter, amp, top and bottom of the tower, power dividers and the
pigtail to the actual antenna. They typically add up to less than a db
loss even at 440.
At HF they are generally of a magnitude that can be ignored *if they are
well designed and constructed* connectors.

> But what does an amp in line take away?  Tubes or SState better or worse?

As they use a bypass line and two relays, it depends on the construction
of the individual amp.  On average I doubt there is even a tenth of a db
difference between quality, well designed amps be they SS or tube.  OTOH
the difference between well designed amps using quality components and
*economy* amps  it may be quite a bit.

I've not picked any figures because there are so many variables.  At HF
you can *usually* get away with far less expensive components (Open
frame relays) with out noticeably increasing loss.

> Does an antenna tuner take away any parts of rcv db?

Probably the tuner takes out more signal than all the connectors
combined.  IIRC this discussion was held a while back on TowerTalk so it
should be in the archives.  I don't remember which manufacturer it was,
but they listed insertion loss for their tuners.  I'll try to remember
to check my manuals.

73

Roger (K8RI)