[Amps] Problem with Ten Tec - Titan 425 Amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Problem with Ten Tec - Titan 425 Amplifier
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:18:25 -0700
Need some help trouble shooting my Titan amp.

I bought a Titan 425 amp about a year ago and have fired it up only 5 - 6
times. It has always worked fine with full output. Last week I fired it up,
but when I tried to tune the amp, there was no plate current or output. I
keyed the amp several more times and tired to adjust for output from its
preset set dial values. Nothing happened, no plate current and no output.
All of a sudden, 'BANG' and the amp went dead.

It turned out that one of the 20 amp fuses had blown. I replaced it and
waited for the delay relay to turn off. I then moved the multi-meter switch
to 'Grid' and when keyed, saw that I was driving the amp way too hard. I
backed off the drive to 50ma grid current and tried to tune the amp again.
Still nothing, no plate current and output. I shut it down. Later in the
day, I removed the top cover and found that the plate choke had blown. I
looked around more but could not find any other obvious damage. Hope I
didn't blow a tube!

Today, I ordered a replacement plate choke. I'll rewind the old one as a
spare. While talking with the customer service at Ten-Tec the guy said the
bias board could be bad. They do not have any replacements.

Does anyone know these amps and offer any reason for the cause of this
failure? Could you offer any other trouble shooting advice. Later, without
the B+ connected and no drive power, I will key the amp and see if the T/R
relay is working. Other than that, I'll just have to take the schematic and
start looking at everything. Oh, something interesting, the customer
service guy said that the Titan 425 schematic does have some known errors
in it. Wonder if anyone has run across them?

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Tnx,

Ray,
N6VR