[Amps] MHV HV VConnectors

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MHV HV VConnectors
From: Jim Garland <4cx250b@muohio.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:38:25 -0600
MHV connectors are an obsolete design and have largely been superseded by SHV
connectors, which are safer. The center pin of an SHV connector is recessed so
that it mates only after the shield is connected.  Many people prefer so-called
RP-SHV connectors, RP meaning reverse polarity, with the male pin in the jack.
Chinese-made RP-SHV connectors are available on eBay for about $5 each and are
very good quality. American-made ones by Kings Electronics cost ten times as
much (sigh...)

The Chinese RP-SHV connectors use RG-6 cable and are rated at 5KV. I think any
of the small coax cables can easily accommodate voltages in this range. I've
used RG-58 with MHV connectors on my 8877 amp (4700 V) for thirty years. The
only caveat is to avoid foam dielectric cables.

The is a matter of personal taste, but for safery reasons I'd never use an
unshielded HV cable for anything other than internal wiring. And I'd never in
any circumstances use the venerable JW Millen HV connector, which has no strain
relief and has the HV wire held loosely in place with only a blob of solder.
It's an accident waiting to happen.

73,

Jim Garland W8ZR

Sent from my iPad