Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 and field day

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 and field day
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
>>This Alpha is a GREAT field day machine.
>
> Yeah, until you actually have to lift it and carry it to Field Day.
*** All I had to lift was my index finger to punch the "on" button :).
But yeah, it's a heavy beast.

 Not
> to mention that using it drops your power multiplier to 1 (which doesn't
> really multiply anything). Hihi. Sounds like you're enjoying the new
> amp. Have fun in FD!

*** That was the idea. I didn't and don't expect to win anything.  Already
submitted my logs to ARRL.  I figured maybe I'd get a couple new states
toward a WAS or something.  Part of "fun" for me is that when I call people,
they actually hear me :).  I took breaks for supper, snacks, coffee, and
even slept through the night.  Not a serious effort at all.

   I did not get the impression that my signal was in any way
overpowering.  I was strong into the south pacific - worked three
Hawaiian stations and they all commented on my strong signal - one said
I was "20 over 9".  But I had trouble getting into New England.
Couldn't get
Rhode Island or New Hampshire, although I did make it into Vermont this
morning.  Need to put more radials on the NE side of the vertical.  The
QTH
is on the side of a west-facing hill, and I can see San Francisco Bay out
the front windows of the house.  I think the Bay helps - pulls the RF down
a bit.

   I don't think FD was very stressful to the equipment - especially since
I didn't try to "own" a frequency and CQ on it.  Instead, I did "hunt &
pounce" up and down the bands.  Got me QSOs pretty much as fast as I
could
log them.  The transmissions are very short, and you're mostly tuning and
listening.  Keeping it low stress, I mostly copied people's info before
calling them - so then I just had to worry about them hearing ME.

   I might be a little more serious about it next year.  Should have my
mini-quad up by that time, and the off-grid solar system up in my shed.
 The planned off-grid system will be about 500W worth of cells, feeding
an inverter and a battery charger.  Should easily handle a 100W
transceiver and a computer, and even give me an hour or so of operating
after dark,
or in the morning before the sun comes up.  BTW, the off-grid system is
mostly for the well pump....

                         - Jerry