Re: [Amps] How lossy is Nylon at 50 MHz?

To: "David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>, <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How lossy is Nylon at 50 MHz?
From: "lee" <pulsarxp@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:16:14 -0500
Delrin has very good insulating properties until it picks up moisture.
Delrin is Hydroscopic and is not a good insulator once it has picked up
moisture.  it is not a good choice for outdoors.  Nice stuff though as it
machines very nicely.

Lee, w0vt

>    All nylon has rather poor weather resistance, even the UV resistant
> flavors.
> Use "delrin" if at all possible instead.
> --
>     73 Ron KA4INM - All E-mail sent to this address shall linger in the
> Google cloud forever!

That's not a concern to me. This will be burried in potting compound,
inside a plastic box. The plasitc box and potting compound have been
used many times for antennas and present no problems. I'm only a bit
worried about heating of the dielectric, but I don't think it will be
sufficient to cause a problem. But since it is in potting compound,
the heat can't escape easily.