[Amps] Filament Xfmr

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Filament Xfmr
From: "Pete Raymond" <n4kwpete@centurylink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 13:00:47 -0400
I ordered a filament transformer for a 4CX1500B linear that I am building.
When I received the transformer all looked great to me except for the
secondary pigtail wires.  The tube requires 6vac at 10amps, the pigtails
provided are about five inches long and are a #18 well insulated wire.
Being concerned with the wire size it put the transformer under load and
drawing 10amps  left it that way for about an hour.  The wire did not over
heat in that time but hey how about hours of operating.  Should I be
concerned with the wire size.  I have looked for information on how to
figure how much current various wire sizes can carry and at various voltages
and have not found anything.

73 Pete N4KW