[Amps] Frequency, Power Specs on Old Bird Dummy Load

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Frequency, Power Specs on Old Bird Dummy Load
From: Patrick Barthelow <apolloeme@live.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:33:31 -0700

Friends,

I am looking for some specifications for a Bird Dummy load I have and have used
for HF, but want to know how High it can go into the microwave area..

What I have is a 20 lb oil filled DL   built in  1962,   FSN:  5985 -337 -6619
 Also P/N: 811152
By Bird, Cleveland Ohio  Oil chamber around resistor is 5" dia

Once belonged to Bill Orr, W6SAI
Has a maybe 7/8"  connector reduced to an N Connector

>From the connector to the oil chamber and load R is a tapered, conical outside
>shield, about 4" long with presumably a straight inside center coax conductor

Its 11.5" long, 6" wide and 8" tall

Probably good for a KW continuous, but interested in upper frequency limit, and
what happens, how bad from 50 ohms R it gets when you go higher F than
ratings...  Hoping it can be useful to 1.2 to 2.3 ghz..

Actually I just found a photo that is a pretty good match..... looks like 2 ghz
and 500 watts...
http://www.dubuque-forsale.com/OLD-ADS-FROM-PREVIOUS-YEARS/2003/Bird-500W-termaline-dummy-load-dc-to-2-ghz-type-8821-picture.jpg

Hard to think this is only rated for 500 watts, must be conservative ratings...

Tnx  Pat Barthelow, AA6EG