Re: [Amps] Neon xfmr for HiPot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Neon xfmr for HiPot
From: "Aravind Balasubramanian (VU2ABS)" <vu2abs@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 20:55:50 +0530
I have no local source for either an oilburner xfmr or a Neon xfmr.

I do have a couple of 250 - 0 - 250 transforemers salvaged from tube
radios. I have earlier used one of them and built a waltson cockraft
voltage multiplier to feed the Post deflection Anode of a homebrew
oscilloscope using 130C1P7 (long persistance phospor). stopping at about
the 4 kv mark.

Can I connect 2 of these xfmrs in series and build a waltson cockraft
multiplier upto 10 - 12 KV and build a Hipot tester? What are the pros
and cons. Searched the web but couldnt find any. Plan B is to use a
automobile sparkplug ignition coil (but dislike the high component count
involved).

This is to be used to test my hi voltage variable capacitor collection
(1 - 4 kv range), 1 russian vaccum variable Capacitor - 10 - 1100 pf-  5
kv and my stock of 813 tubes before using them to build an amp out of
them and a QRO largest possible sized magnetic loop for 160/80/40/30 m

73,

Aravind - vu2abs - http://www.qrz.com/db/vu2abs