[Amps] Drake L4B 50K Resistors HOT!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Drake L4B 50K Resistors HOT!!
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 02:53:35 -0700
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:02:53 -0700
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>

I was just repairing a Drake L4B that I picked up from my want listing on
QTH.com. I just happened to measure the temperature of the 50K 50 watt
resistors in the power supply with my infrared thermometer and WOW!!

The middle of the resistors run 510 degrees f !! I could not believe it!

Needless to say there outta here! I won?t need them anyway. I?m using the amp
to prototype my QSK board for the Drake L4-L7 amplifiers that will use resistor
cutoff bias instead of the +120 volts that the resistors provide.

73
Jim W7RY

##  I have  four of the  drake L4b amps.   each of those 50 watt  bleeders  is
dissipating 35 watts.   The pair of 50 k resistor,s  is in series..and also in
series with a 7 k @ 5 watt  below the power supply chassis.
The V drop across the  7k  is  +130 vdc  ( only when on the 2650 vdc position).
   The vdrop  is 90 vdc  when on the cw  ( 1900 vdc) position.

##  toss all 3  resistors !   I then paralleled  ( for redundancy)   two  100k
@  3 watt MOF’s = 50 k.    Wire that in series with the CT of the fil xfmr.
That’s the yellow wire hanging off the tr relay.

##  I then simply rewired the 3pdt mech relay such that it just shorts out the
50k on TX.   The 50 k dissipates  zero watts anyway.  then u have ZERO  heat
from the L4PS  power supply  cab !
Your no load  B+  will NOT rise either on RX.   Mine did not budge at all.
I also replaced all the  100 k @ 2 watt carbon EQ resistors   across each lytic
with  100k @  3 watt MOF”s
(mouser has em in 1% tolerance) .   replace the lytics as well.   Use 4 x
diodes and 2 x lytics to make a doubler..then u will have  +63 vdc  instead of
the oem +24 vdc  relay supply.
oem supply used a simple half wave rectifier, with one diode and one cap.  I
replaced the 3pdt mech tr relay    with 3 x new  gigavac GH-1  relays.
One for input, one for output, and the 3rd one does the bias.  U can get em in
either  12 or 26.5 vdc coils.   If u want blazing fast qsk... install a 50 uf
cap  across the dropping resistor
Dropping resistor installed between the + 63 vdC    and the  t-r  relay
coils..... with all 3 x coils in parallel.   + 63 vdc is plenty for a 26 vdc
vac relay coil....and also works good on a 12 vdc coil.

##  I used 3 x vac relays, so that each amp can easily handle 2 kw on bypass
mode. ( u have to be able to do that to calibrate the internal wattmeters).   I
string all the amps  nose to tail, and then
tune em up on different bands.  ( or stuff like 2 on same band).  Each amp is
placed in operate mode.  A  simple rotary switch  ensures that only ONE  amps
key line is activated at one time..simple interlock.   key line from xcvr to
rotary
switch, then 4 outputs, one to each amps  key line.

##  Bypass swr is dead flat  going through all 4 x amps..even on 10M.   BTW,
drakes  +130 vdc  was a  stupid idea.  the + 130 vdc  will eventually eat the
middle contact on the oem 3pdt mech tr relay.

Later....... Jim   VE7RF