Re: [Amps] 8877 operation at 2KV anode voltage?

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 operation at 2KV anode voltage?
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:00:58 +0700
I think the 8877 would be about the best of the possible choices, if it can
be made to work. More effort required than a pair of 3CX800's but I think
8877 availability and relative costs will make it a better long term bet.

I think it needs a new plenum box to start with, or at the very least a big
cutout and a new top plate, but I hate butchery so I'd go with a new box and
I think there will be a few others interested to make it worth having a
bunch made up to get some economy. If the existing blower is good enough
then best keep it for simplicity and lack of butchery.

The power supply remains the stumbling block but certainly with some
variants, 3 hole 78's it is quite possible to see them produce well over
1.5A key down! I would propose a doubler might be an effective solution,
provided everything else can be kept in check. The stock power supply board
sits over the meters and the electrolytics fill the space underneath. More
modern caps would be typically half the height and allow enough space for a
different filament transformer hopefully.

Given that these amplifiers are a good desktop size and with pretty much all
the work done, retrofitting a good single tube might be the best long term
alternative.

Martin, HS0ZED