Re: [Amps] Multiple Amplifier Switching Box

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Multiple Amplifier Switching Box
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:58:08 -0700
I have run an AL-1500 and SB-220 in series.  Absolutely do not do
this if the second amp in line is equipped with QSK circuitry,
because RFI from the high level of other-band power may switch
its relay into transmit.  As N2BC says, at that point the second
amp is toast.

I have a Ten-Tec Titan 417A that will switch into transmit just
from 20 meter energy coming back down its coax from the antenna.
For example, while the AL-1500 is transmitting on 20, I'll look
over and see idling current on the 417A, because it has switched
itself into transmit.  I don't  use QSK on either amp.  I had to
put a 20 meter reject stub on the 417A to keep it from doing that
evil behavior.  Maybe if you flip the manual standby switch into
standby, it won't happen, but you can't be fiddling with that all
the time, and you only have to forget once - then you're cooked.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, California