Re: [Amps] Alpha 78

To: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "Roger \(K8RI\)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:19:59 -0700
"Many years of hard use might crystalize the solder at the switch and
elsewhere in RF paths, it should be removed and fresh solder flowed on"

I purchased an Alpha 76 "as-is".  The main problem was the plate tank
circuit had desoldered parts.  It did not even look like it had a hard life.
I resoldered things and it worked fine.  While I had it apart, I added peak
reading to the wattmeter and an led array between the meters (no holes of
course) to monitor grid current.

I intended to change out to the 3CX800A7 tubes as I did with my 76A, but the
tubes keep working and working, like the Energizer bunny.

When I changed my 76A to two 3CX800A7 tubes, I changed to chimney to split
the third exit hole to the two tubes.  But, I like Carl's suggestion of
larger exit holes.  I have installed new black panels so punching additional
holes for the exhaust will be me a chance to black powder coat the cabinet.
Now that my "best" friend has a powder coat machine, cabinet finishing has
moved forward.

73,  Colin  K7FM