Re: [Amps] 4-5000 and others

To: "Donald Fox" <taurusshoguy@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4-5000 and others
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:54:57 -0400
They had their own cooling pond just to cool the tubes, the finals were
operated as linears.

Due to Canadian complaints the 500KW was on for just a few years and shut
down well before WW2.

Ive also heard stories that it was powered up at times to get messages thru
but havent seen any proof. Stations like WBZ and WOR with 50KW and antennas
in salt water should have been louder.

Powell Crosley was an interesting character. He also spent a fortune on the
monster WLW receiver just to beat Zenith as the size leader.

Carl
KM1H