Re: [Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering

Subject: Re: [Amps] current threads about silver solder and resoldering
From: Gene May <gene-may@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:11:20 -0400
Some discussants in this have mentioned buying old solder at hamfests, etc.  I
do the same, but it is important to read labels carefully.  The solder that has
the lowest melting point is (by weight) 63% tin (Sn), 37% lead (Pb).  This
ratio also has the same temperatures for "starts to melt" and "completely
melted"; i.e., no temperature range with "pasty" solder.  Note well the greater
amount of tin, not lead, because tin melts at a lower temperature than lead.
Note also that tin is more expensive than lead.

60Sn/40Pb melts very close to 63Sn/37Pb, and has only a small pasty range.
Unfortunately, I have occasionally seen "60/40" solder for sale that, upon
reading the SMALLER print, is 60Pb/40Sn.  This stuff melts at a significantly
higher temperature than 60Sn/40Pb and has a large "pasty" temperature range,
and IMHO, is a pain to use.

Of course, I'm sure that no one is trying to mislead anyone in order to save a
few cents.

Gene May
WB8WKU